Life and Death of a Star - The Universe Video
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Monday, December 9, 2013
Friday, December 6, 2013
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Monday, December 2, 2013
Sun Research Questions
You may find the answers to the following question in several sources including your in the Comparison Activities, the Sun Movie, or many internet files.
2) During what time of the year is the sun the highest in the sky in Holliston?
3) During what part of the year is the sun to closest to the earth?
4) Show in a sketch, the aphelion and perihelion of the earth’s orbit around the sun
5) How far away is the sun from the earth (give average value)?
6) How far away is the sun in real terms? Assume that a spaceship could travel at 500 miles per hour, how many days would it take to get to the sun?
7) Which part of the sun is referred to as the surface of the sun?
8) In reality the sun does not have a surface as we think of a surface on earth. What is the element that makes up most of the sun? What is the only other major element on the sun?
9) The corona, which is visible during solar eclipses, is extremely hot but a spaceship flying into the corona would not get hot. Why?
10) Explain what happens in the core of the sun
11) What are granules?
12) How do solar storms differ from the storms on earth?
13) What is meant by the ecliptic?
14) Why are we so concerned about coronal mass ejections (CME’s) on earth?
15) The energy of the sun is produced in the sun’s core and passed along through high energy photons. These photons get banged around in the highly energized radioactive and convection zones. How long does it actually take a photon to move from the core to the sun’s surface? How long does it take this same photon to go from the sun’s surface to the earth?
16) If the sun is so massive with a huge gravity, why is there no solid matter within the sun?
17) Why do sunspots seem dark when viewed from earth?
18) How is the earth’s magnetic field vastly different than the magnetic field of the sun?